Provide technical direction and leadership to Senior Project Engineersand Project Engineers in provision of highest quality technical services toProjects within the Company for management of design services, by consultants,in compliance with various design briefs, meeting client requirements, and applicablecodes and standards.
Motivate subordinatesin consistently producing highest quality work that is world class and fit forpurpose while meeting end user requirements.
Fully responsible to provide management, leadership and control of a teamof Senior Project Engineers and Project Engineers to achieve conclusion ofdesign, spanning over and ranging from project definition through execution tocompletion stages, according to the approved budget, schedule, quality andsafety requirements.Generally works on more than oneproject at a time.
- Organize, plan, and supervise activities of the group to ensure technical manpower of the adequate quality are available and that sufficient technical deliverables are produced on time for successful project implementation, to suit the complex requirements of a project, at various stages of design process.
- Responsible and accountable for the application of Corporate and client design philosophies, policies and standard in order to promote and maintain a world class technical quality of fit-for-purpose, environmentally safe and sound engineering designs.
- Assume full technical responsibility with associated accountability for all assigned projects within the Section.
- Assist Senior Design Manager on evaluation of implementation strategies for various corporate improvement initiatives and programs.
- Participate in evaluating and recommending priorities for execution of all projects. Priorities are determined after a critical evaluation of each project against established criteria, including revenue generating potential, safety issues, etc. Allocate internal resources of group to suit the complex requirements of number of projects assigned to the group and at various stages of projects lifecycle.
- Responsible for participating in, evaluation of and recommending implementation strategies for large complex projects.
- Support Senior Design Manager in drafting & negotiating commercial project consultancy agreements.
- Evaluate and recommend need for carrying out in-house feasibility studies and detailed designs as relevant to discipline areas within areas of responsibility. Review and make provision for additional resources as necessary.
- Contribute in the production of Engineering standards, procedures, and work practices suitable for the corporation as relevant to discipline areas within section areas of responsibility.
- Facilitate preparation and approval of in-house, conceptual and detail designs as relevant to discipline areas within group’s areas of responsibility on a need basis.
- Collaborate with Senior Design Manager in the production of Technical Reports, ECS and EPIC Scopes of Work.
- Review and recommend engineering procedures, international standards & guidelines and obtains waivers/variations.
- Organize major feasibility studies & concept optimizations on direction of Senior Design Manager.
- Endorse techno-economic viability studies for projects.
- Provide technical input to Corporate Planning Options and Business Plans.
- Facilitate frequent and regular internal and external contacts (Vendors, Contractors, and Consultants) regarding technical matters within related areas of specialization.
- Assign duties to Senior Project Engineers and Project Engineers and monitor their performance and quality of work.
- Manage staff through monitoring performance, identifying training needs, and conducting staff appraisals to ensure optimum resource utilization.
- Review CV’s, assist in conducting technical interviews and facilitate selection of candidates for recruitment, as per group’s requirements.
- Deputize for Senior Design Manager, as required.
- Assist, Senior Design Manager, with securing Client approval and signoff of design stages for stage closeouts and proceeding with next stage.
- Manage the studies for the space and building programs for all projects assigned to the group and provide recommendations to End Users/Owners of the most cost effective program.
- Oversee the design review and comment process on consultant’s / contractor’s concept / design / working drawings, specifications, tender documentation and submittals to ensure compliance with ASTAD standards and project briefs while meeting end-user requirements.
- Coordinate, review and validate major architectural mock-ups, materials and models for all assigned projects.
- Supervise Senior Project Engineers and Project Engineers in organizing and controlling design workshop for all relevant assigned projects.
- Demonstrate direction for initiative in design solutions and work with due care and thought.
- Deal with complex technical and administrative issues related to Department workload comprising multiple projects at various stages of implementation. Resolve conflicting priorities with varying technical requirements, and schedule deadlines.
- Manage and coordinate work of group to ensure that the overall objectives of the Division and Company are met.
- Recommend updating of register of materials standards, specifications and standard details.
- Allocate tasks to resources with a view to balance work assignments on the man-hour requirement to meet each task in good time to enable all work to be completed as programmed.
- Coordinate FF&E / Signage tender packages including the development of performance-based specifications that comply with all relevant sourcing policies and the completion of the technical evaluation of bids. Supervise work with Materials Department to ensure timely execution of FF&E / Signage tender packages and FF&E / Signage supply and installation.
- Collaborate with Senior Design Manager for supply and maintenance of all hardware and material supplies necessary to meet the requirement of this job description.
Qualifications and Knowledge:
- B. Architecture B.Sc.in Architecture, Architectural Engineering, Urban Planning or Interior Design.
- Preference will be given to M. Arch or equivalent degree
- Professional membership of a recognized international institute / association / organization is desirable.
- AIA / RIBA or equivalent professional membership is preferred.
- Possesses excellent leadership skills and ability to technically and administratively lead, supervise and motivate a team of Senior Project Engineers and Project Engineers.
- Have excellent planning, decision making, problem solving and organizational skills.
- Excellent technical knowledge within authority area Disciplines is mandatory and in addition, shall also have good working knowledge of other disciplines in Division.
- Must have thorough knowledge of industry/international standards, and ability to interpret for specific application within sphere of relevant disciplines.
- Communication & negotiating skills as well as an ability to work in a multicultural team environment must be well developed and proven.
- 15 years post graduate experience in the design, construction and commissioning of facilities related to Public / Private Buildings / Master Planning including a minimum of 8 years in a supervisory role, leading a multi-discipline design team.
- Experience in the Gulf is desirable.
- Experience with specification of interior finishes, furniture and equipment, as well as construction management of interior fit-outs and furniture installations, is especially important.
- Computer literate with proficiency in AutoCAD 2000, together with knowledge of Architectural presentation software.